Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving, Ecua-Style


My first Thanksgiving away from home is symbolized by a truly unique cornucopia of food.  In Ecuador it was just any other day so I headed out to The American School, where I volunteer on Thursday mornings—more on that another time, with a peanut butter sandwich and a mango for breakfast.  When I arrived, I was surprised to learn that they were having their own kind of Thanksgiving celebration, more Ecuadorean picnic (they call it pampa mesa) than anything else but still with plenty of food.  Popcorn, candied peanuts, salad, chicken, potatoes, and ice cream cake were served at 10:30 in the yard.  At 1:00 Conchita served soup, fish, rice, and plantains for almuerzo, followed by her own interesting but tasty version of pumpkin dessert.  At 7:00, Will, Kevin and I set out in the rain to celebrate with our own meal.  We had hummus and pita bread, mashed potatoes and sausage, chicken satay, and a round of drinks followed by ice cream.  No turkey but a very happy Thanksgiving, indeed!

1 comment: